POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povwin-3.7.beta.11b expired since 2006-01-01 : Re: povwin-3.7.beta.11b expired since 2006-01-01 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:24:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povwin-3.7.beta.11b expired since 2006-01-01
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 2 Feb 2006 21:10:00
Message: <web.43e2bb18ea25042ac8947640@news.povray.org>
"Dre" <bla### [at] somewherecom> wrote:
> "Chambers" <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> > Spota wrote:
> > > Hello DEvelopment-Team:
> > >
> > > ad: povwin-3.7.beta.11b
> > >
> > > Will there be some version above the latest (EXPIRED) beta ?????????????
> >
> > If you've been around for previous POV betas (I think I've seen every
> > one of them since 3.0 in 96), this is quite normal.  Releasing a new
> > beta compile just because some time has passed isn't necessarily a good
> > idea.  Rather, a new beta will be released when significant changes have
> > occurred.
> >
> > The developers have lives outside of POV-Ray.  If you'd like to pay one
> > of them a competitive salary to work full-time on 3.7, I'm sure you'd be
> > able to get a new version much sooner :)
> >
> > ...Chambers
>
> So what exactly is the point of an expiry date then?  If it didn't have one,
> no problems!
>
> Cheers Dre

Betas are just that, betas for evaluation and bug-fixes.  As bugs are fixed,
new betas come out.  At that time, there is no point in having the previous
versions still available as they will still have the bugs, hence there is
an expiry date.  However, because of the timing constraints of the
programmers, the new beta is not always ready when the old one expires.
But this shouldn't cause a problem as they are only meant for beta testing
and not really for regular usage.  If you want to use POV regularly and not
for beta testing then use 3.6 and wait for 3.7 to be ready.

-tgq